Michigan Policy Guide
“To positively address competing good land use issues by allowing solar energy facilities to be placed on lands enrolled in the Farmland Development Rights program, and by preserving agricultural land for future use as intended by the Farmland and Open Space Preservation Act.”
Develop conditions under which the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) may allow for solar energy development on lands enrolled in the Farmland Development Rights (FDR) Program.
Establish expectations for responsibilities in carrying out the development, maintenance, and decommissioning of a solar energy array on property enrolled in the FDR Program.
MDARD may determine eligibility for permitting commercial solar on FDR Program property if the following conditions are met:
- Structures are consistent with farm operations.
- Within the fenced area, the site is designed and planted to achieve a score of at least 76 on the Michigan Pollinator Habitat Planning Scorecard for Solar Sites.
- Groundcover is to be established and maintained throughout lifetime of the system.
- Any portion of the site not included in pollinator plantings must maintain USDA NRCS Conservation Cover Standard 327.
- Amendment of the FDR Agreement between Landowner and MDARD.
- Tax credits are not claimed during the deferment period (construction-decommissioning).
- Financial surety bond payable to the State of Michigan for the entire determent period.
- The land is returning to agricultural use and continues to be subject to the FDR Program.
Developed and administered by the Michigan Dept. of Agriculture & Rural Development (MDARD).
Mandate. Mandated planting and maintenance of pollinator habitat consistent with a score of at least 76 on the Michigan Pollinator Habitat Planning Scorecard for Solar Sites.
No mention of monitoring authority or process.
No definition provided.
Tax credits are not claimed during the deferment period (construction-decommissioning).
Policy for Allowing Commercial Solar Panel Development on PA 116 Lands
Michigan Pollinator Habitat Planning Scorecard for Solar Sites